Friday, October 23, 2015

a plus quilt

Well this was fun!  Another Quilt-Along. This one on Instagram hosted by a delightful new friend.  Of course I wanted in!
We all made a simple plus quilt following a free pattern by Jeli Quilts.

We needed 8 different fabrics for this pattern so it was a perfect use for this Gardenvale piece I purchased last summer.

I cut 5 inch squares for my pluses so this quilt finishes at 45” x 58.5”

I used a matching striped Gardenvale fabric for the binding.
My favorite thing about this quilt is the backing.  It's a new Andover jersy knit by Alison Glass.  I highly recommend it.  It was almost 70” wide - even after pre-washing & drying.  By the way, no bleeding of that beautiful blue in the pre-wash.

The batting is Quilter’s Dream Request loft cotton. Thin batting and the t-shirt backing make this a dreamy summer quilt.



I free motion quilted a geometric design in each of the squares.  You can see it (a little) better on the back.  (The color is off here.  The previous photo shows a more accurate blue.)

Thanks for stopping by.

Linking up this Friday finish with Crazy Mom Quilts.

12 comments:

  1. Lovely quilt! I love the way you placed the plusses. T-shirt backing sounds wonderful! Great quilting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. I will definitely use the cotton jersey knit as a backing again.

      Delete
  2. I really like this quilt with the solid background. Great job! Your binding is great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I like the stripes for the binding, too.

      Delete
  3. I really like this quilt with the solid background. Great job! Your binding is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Plus quilt with great fabrics! Your photos as so nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. I had a perfectly cloudy fall day for photographing. The rolled quilt photo is my favorite.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Gina. I'm loving the weight of this quilt.

      Delete
  6. This quilt is beautiful - the simplicity of the design makes the fabrics really stand out. And what lovely fabric you chose for your pluses! How do you find QAL on instagram?

    ReplyDelete